Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Fishing With My Son, Robert

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Fishing With My Son, Robert

Postby rsetina » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:11 pm

Last Wednesday my son sent me a message that he didn't have to work on the 11th and asked me if I wanted to go fishing. What? Fishing? Ahhh yeah! We made plans and after he showed up an hour late due to an alarm setting mistake we headed to a local stream that I knew would be flowing a little high but still fishable. We arrived about 9:30, put on our hip waders and set up our rods. Being a small stream I asked him if he wanted to fish with the 2 wt TFO or the 11 foot Iwana. To my surprise and delight he said he'd try out the Tenkara rod after I showed him how easy it was to set up and get on the water. My thought was I had a Tenkara convert in the making! Cool!

The water isn't usually this high and there are more good spots for holding trout so we had to pick and choose where we tossed a fly,

but they were there. Robert had several takers and only hooked and landed two fish, but said he had a great time fishing with me and he'd like to do it more often.

We encountered this little guy on the way back. Rattlesnakes are prolific in this area during the summer months. I don't know what kind this one was but we left him alone.

On the way up the trail we found a small waterfall that I'd never seen before so I had to take a photo of Robert in front of it. Notice he's gotten the Tenakra rod stance already down. :lol:

Total count was six fish, four for me and two for Robert. I had four other fish look at my dry fly but miss and Robert had three or four fish miss his fly too.

We encounter 3 or 4 other anglers on the water who had the same luck as we did. A couple of them seemed interested in knowing a little more about Tenkara so I gave them the website address. I need to start carrying some business cards with the website address on them so I have something to hand out when someone asks me about this.
rsetina

Re: Fishing With My Son, Robert

Postby troutrageous1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 am

Great post. Some really beautiful (& scenic) photos. Looks like a good time was had by all.
Awesome to see you getting Robert into tenkara as well - I mean who wouldn't choose the 11' Iwana? ;)

Would have to agree with you on the business card part, would come in handy. I find quite a few people ask me about my "broken" rod (where's the rest of it?) when I walk past them on some of the trails.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby solocanoe » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 am

excellent photos!

good idea on the business cards with website address. can easily see how something so new and different could be a conversation starter. Could be an easy way to spread the "tenkarausa word"
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Great pictures! Thanks for posting them.
I guess I have to get those cards in the making. Chris Stewart suggested those a long time ago, I thought it was a fantastic suggestion and even got the design started, but never really finalized it....
Well, you asked for it you'll get it :)
I'll also try to get the stickers out with those...just be patient .
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:30 am

Daniel @ TenkaraUSA wrote:Great pictures! Thanks for posting them.
I guess I have to get those cards in the making. Chris Stewart suggested those a long time ago, I thought it was a fantastic suggestion and even got the design started, but never really finalized it....
Well, you asked for it you'll get it :)
I'll also try to get the stickers out with those...just be patient .

I am going to buy some buisness card stock from Office Depot and make my own with my name and email address on them so whoever I give them out to can contact me. I'll have all the info about TenkaraUSA too, website, etc. I think it's a fantastic way to spread the word.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience