Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Teaching my wife.

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Teaching my wife.

Postby sholgate » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:52 pm

My wife has always had an interest in fly fishing but has enjoyed very limited success. Today I decided to focus the morning on her with my Iwana rod on a small PA class A brown trout stream. I set her up with a size 16 prince nymph on about 16" of 6X tippet and a small sticky indicator on the loop.

After working on casting, we talked a lot about trout holding water, bug placement, and the bug to indicator relationship in the current, and of course, how to lesson drag. Within 30 minutes she caught her first 2010 wild brown trout and within the following hours she landed 8 trout from about 5"-11".

After the "trip" she told me she wanted her own Tenkara rod. She had success, she improved her skills, and she had fun. I am hoping that may open the door for more trips together.
Tenkara1.jpg
Tenkara1.jpg (208.91 KiB) Viewed 3562 times

Tenkara2.jpg
Tenkara2.jpg (139.15 KiB) Viewed 3562 times

Tenkara3.jpg
Tenkara3.jpg (191.22 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Re: Teaching my wife.

Postby rsetina » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:19 pm

That's so cool. I fish with my wife as some of you know and there's nothing like fishing with the one you love the most in this world. I am happy she's going to be your fishing buddy. Very cool!
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby solocanoe » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:43 am

that is awesome, Steven! The pics are great too. Its so true that old quote "I fish for trout partly because of the beautiful places they are found in." :)

My wife is a good fisher(person?) who grew up around Lake Michigan with a LOT of fishing of all types...my son has tons of patience, and loves to fish fly, spin, baitcaster, etc...

Your post gives me hope for my daughter. My 15 yr old daughter has not wanted to go fishing for many years. Maybe the simple purity of Tenkara fishing will appeal to her. I will at least be looking forward to sharing it with her!
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby sholgate » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:45 pm

My wife loves many of the places that I fish. She has been "traditional" fly fishing probably a dozen times. She has caught maybe 4-6 fish ever. Many trips ended early because of being cold, too many flies in the trees, or quite frankly, because of the lack of success, disenchanted. Now after landing 8 trout in one day ... the thought of going fishing doesn't seem that bad. :)

Tenkara Rod has been my choice rod for small streams and wild trout also I believe it is a great way to introduce fly fishing to a beginner.

On a total side note ... I am taking 8 boy scouts in early May to earn their merit badge in fly fishing.
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Postby rsetina » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:28 pm

My wife had the same problem getting zero fish on many outings. I'm glad she's hanging in there and giving Tenkara a try. Eight fish on her first outing is a good count.

I'd like to give you some kudos on taking the scouts out fly fishing for their merit badges. Hope you have a great time and the boys get into some fish.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience