Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

count me in

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

count me in

Postby solocanoe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:42 pm

what an enjoyable afternoon.

With input (directly) from Chris and (indirectly by reading some posts) from Daniel....I've made my choice the Yamame and the level line.

I'm a solo canoe tripper and a "one bag packer"...so all things simple always interest me. My favorite days are simple casting to bluegills and small creek bass - I'm in the south and trout are available, but more than a few hours away, so I fish little creeks, ponds, and lakes either on foot or in my solo canoe.

I've told many friends that ask to go with me...you'll use "little more line than the length of your rod" and they just stare back at me, sort of dumbstruck.

My style in the solo canoe is silent and slow (sold my SOT kayak, too heavy to portage and "not me" to paddle) I like to "pick apart" cover and fish methodically. Canoeing or wading small streams is a HUGE pleasure. So, Tenkara is a NATURAL FIT for my desires/style/locations of fishing. I like trout fishing, love to eat a few, but bluegills are close and I like the fight and "no guilt" at taking home a stringer.

I erred on the side of caution - by getting the Yamame - due to the fact I caught the largest bass of my life while fishing for bluegill 2 years ago -not quite 10 lbs and 10 mins of playing it while back paddling! - 5wt rod, 5x tippet, sinking spider fly.

THANK YOU to the site, the great posters, links to videos and info....this is like ..."aha, THAT'S what I've been trying to do"....Tenkara is like finding a twin you didn't know you had or something. :)

thanks again!
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Re: count me in

Postby bjanzen » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Welcome to the Tenkara experience..... Sounds like it was a perfect fit for you. I have been stuck on trout for several years but that does sound like fun floating small creeks looking for panfish.

Just curious where you are from?

Barry
bjanzen

Postby wrknapp » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Great to ahve you hear. Can you describe your canoe? I am thinking about a canoe or kayak.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby solocanoe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys! Last night, in the middle of the night - I found myself "walking thru" one of my favorite little streams - this time picturing it with my Tenkara Rod and figuring out angles, riffs, and eddies! :lol:

Barry - I am in Fort Smith, Arkansas. About 3 hours from the Little Red River and it's world record brown trout (43 pounds! :shock: ) and while it's nice to have trophy water that close...it's fame is now it's problem. The best shoals are elbow to elbow on low flows and high flows are unfishable except by the now-very-expensive guides and their specialized 25 foot river boats.

We have tons of creeks, little streams and the Arkansas River and LOTS of lakes - we are in big bass boat country after all! :roll: Hey, I've owned a big bass boat, it was just such a chore...we own a small one now, my son likes it - it's ok...but for me, I like the canoe.

I need to get my profile going, I see now where you guys have your locations up. I'll get on that.

-john n.
Last edited by solocanoe on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-john
solocanoe

Postby solocanoe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 am

Randy -

I can go ON AND ON about my Old Town Pack canoe! I reviewed it on LL Bean's site - where I got it years ago - and also at Paddling.net. You can read them here:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/17724?fe ... eeText=old town pack

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showRev ... ml?prod=27

(on paddling.net I became "wekayakfish") I am now just "me" or "solocanoe" at sites on the web...this was during the years I owned 2 WS tarpon sit on top kayaks and "strayed" from my first love, the canoe. :) the "we" part was my son and I. He likes to fish better out of the jon boat we've made into a bass boat - he likes to stand, run the trolling motor, etc...I get a kick out of seeing him do it from the back of the boat - he's 13 now.

I think if you read those reviews, my enthusiasm and history with the OT pack come thru. My boat looks almost new and I'm NOT that careful with it - I do clean it up before I store it, but IF I get so lucky as to have a pic published in the next issue of Canoeroots mag with me and one of our labs in the OT pack...you'll see it looks really great after years of good use. (the editor emailed me and said I was in the running to get the pic in the next mag.) ;)

The kayaks are less wind resistant, and if you paddle big water or oceans, the drainage is paramount - but I just like the "feel" of a canoe - I started with it early on...and I guess I just like it better. That said..., I "borrow" a lot from Kayaks. I use a double bladed paddle a lot - carry a single- but like the double . I use a detachable anchor trolley system. I run a homemade drift sock when I am drift fishing wind blown banks - on this anchor trolley system. I also have been known to fish plastic worms on my flyrod...and I like spin flys - tiny blades in front of a soft hackle body...see? I "borrow" stuff. 8-)

If you can paddle a few kayaks, you may like them. a LOT of innovation and attention is going into fishing kayaks as the sport is exploding...and I sold my two kayaks so easy...so there are lots of reasons to get a kayak - if you like the feel. I guess I also like the romance of the canoe though...for me, its the perfect boat.

-john n.
-john
solocanoe

Postby solocanoe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:40 am

Chris was kind enough to try to help me post a pic...lets see if I can get that done here:

My wife and son were "with" this day, it was nice tot get a pic as I'm usually alone when in the canoe. The black lab is Belle - she's bigger now, full size we think. We have a blond lab too - Lolla - 5 weeks younger - they are quite a pair. :P
-john
solocanoe

Postby CreationBear » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Very nice...I fish the GSMNP these days but grew up in the DeQueen area floating the Cossatot and Rolling Fork for smallies. I could think of worse ways of spending a day than drifting down one of those freestoners with my Ayu in hand... :)
CreationBear

Postby wrknapp » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks for the links and info. Now I want a kayak and canoe and jon boat.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby solocanoe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:41 pm

that's funny, Randy! :)

Creationbear - I haven't fished the Dequeen area...but I hope to! we've ridden dirt bikes for a weekend at Wolf Pen Gap in Mena. My son and I camped by this nice stream, wished we'd brought a rod or two. Tenkara simplicity means I'll prob. never have to NOT have a rod with me from now on. :) Btw, I know it's a nat park, but what's GSMNP?
-john
solocanoe

Postby CreationBear » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:33 am

Solocanoe-- Great Smoky Mountains NP...I live here in Knoxville, where Bruce Pearl seems to be reminding folks of Nolan's glory days. :) At any rate, water gets a little thin in the Ouachita's at times, but I like the idea of having the Tenkara rod packed and ready to deploy at a moment's notice!
CreationBear

Return to Your Tenkara Experience