Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Little Truckee Trip

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Little Truckee Trip

Postby rsetina » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:43 pm

We finally got out to fish again. Only the second time this year which really gets me down some times. We had a friend ask us to go ladder fishing on Pyramid Lake in Nevada and we made a side trip to the Truckee and Little Truckee. I took out the Ayu on the Little Truckee and had a couple of fish, that looked to be 17 inches, rise to my fly but I had no takes. It was nice to get out and do a little camping and fishing with a good friend to fish Pyramid (2 fish for me and 1 good one for Sherry) and getting to the Little Truckee with the Ayu made it even better. We're still on vacation so we may get out one more time this week on some local water for another Tenkara outing.

It wasn't caught on a Tenkara Rod but hear is a picture of Sherry's personal best from Pyramid.

Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Little Truckee Trip

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:29 pm

That's a beautiful picture, and gorgeous fish that Sherry caught. Well done! Was that caught on tenkara?

I'm jealous, as much as I have wanted to, I have only got one half-trip out this year.....I can't believe we are in April already, where has time gone!!! Was pretty bummed to have 2 trips cancelled already..

Next week! And, then to plan a much-waited tenkara outing.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:40 am

Daniel, I'm disappointed you haven't gotten out more than Sherry and me. We may have you beat by a whole two days on the water. ;) Not much to brag about. :lol:

She caught it on a conventional western rod though I'm wondering if she could have caught it on my Yamame. I rigged a line with two bead head nymphs, sixe 14 or 16, on 6 pound line, so I'm sure the Yamame would have casted them just fine. 5X would have been okay too. The fish we caught didn't fight as much as we thought they would have for their size but the fish were pretty shy of the ladders. I'm told if they see a ladder they'll swim away. To actually catch it on the Tenkara rod we would have had to cast a good 30 foot leader, maybe a 40 foot leader. We used shooting heads with a 20 pound line. I posted the picture of her fish because it was so large, her PB, and because it was part of our outing which included me doing some Tenkara fishing on the Little Truckee.

Will the Tenkara outing be open to all like the last one. If so, I hope we can make it. We sure had a good time with everyone last time.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby jbenenson » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Hola Rick,

Is the Little Truckee always so crowded? I can't decide which picture is nicer, the fisher in the river or the fisher and fish both smiling.

The runoff is starting around here. It's the time of the year for the river to cleanse itself of silt and debris and prepare the way for good insect vitality. Once the runoff really gets going the fish have to endure the swift currents, so I and others don't stress the fish that are hanging on for survival.

Unfortunately some meat fishers don't see things that way and take some big fish home. :evil:
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby rsetina » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:30 pm

The Truckee wasn't that busy with anglers. We saw a few but there was plenty of water to fish. I know what you mean about people taking too many fish. This time of year is an important one for the fisheries and it's best to let them spawn. Speaking of leaving them alone, my sister made up this poem after seeing the fish Sherry had caught.

I'm a happy fishy
swimming in the lake
I see a bobbing fly
a bite I think I'll take

The next thing that I know
I'm dangling from a string
Into Sherry's hands
What a nice wedding ring

I hope she doesn't eat me
I really don't want to fry
Is that her husband
What a handsome guy

Yes, I'm really smiling
I really am at peace
Because Rick and Sherry
Believe in "Catch and release!
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby jbenenson » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:52 am

Great poem!
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Return to Your Tenkara Experience