Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Mixing Tenkara and Moffitt System, will it work?

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Mixing Tenkara and Moffitt System, will it work?

Postby mcpenttila » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:02 am

Howdy,

I'm awaiting an order of the Moffitt Angling Hookless Fly setup, and going to try it with the Tenkara rod and line. maybe I'll have to make the tippets longer, but I'm going to experiment, figure what the heck, seeing that I've used the Tenkara rods and line with Wooly Buggers, Nymphs, Streamers, Wet and Dry Files, and even Poppers. So I figure I'll try these out and see how they do.

Keep you posted.

Matt
Fly Fishing New England and eventually the World.
mcpenttila

Re: Mixing Tenkara and Moffitt System, will it work?

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi Matt,

This is a great idea, and one of our other customers is already having some sucess mixing the two. It has everything going for it, plus you'll really be nice to the fish, first by having an easy way to unhook and not harm the inside of their mouths via the Moffitt system, second by using tenkara you'll be playing them more quickly due to the closer distance. Let us know how it goes.

Daniel
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Mixing Tenkara and Moffitt System, will it work?

Postby rvrgzr » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:17 am

Matt, as Daniel knows, I've used the Tenkara system on trout (rainbows, brookies, and browns) in our North Carolina Streams and rivers. And, if you want to catch fish, it's nymph fishing. A bb size shot is about as heavy a weight as the Yamame rod will handle, in my opinion.

With the system I've caught the above-mentioned trout as well as large mouth and small mouth bass, and the myriad couplings of sunfish (bream): bluegills, redears, green, warmouth, and the usual crossbreeds.

The Moffitt system is all I use for fish in my one-acre pond because many of the fish are caught over and over; and I don't have to worry about the fish getting a fly deep in the throat.

When I combined the Moffitt system with the Tenkara fishing it worked well, as I expected it would. I use the Yamame rod and up to 4x tippet. If I'm fishing deep pools or have to reach out, I'll use up to a 10' leader/tippet, but that's the limit for me.

As I've discussed with Daniel, this system is not for steelhead or 10 lb. fish, but it works well on trout up to 20" and I've caught 3 lb. bass with little problem.

If I can answer any question, just ask.
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience