Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Hooked just like a trout!

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Hooked just like a trout!

Postby bridge » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Broke in my Iwana tonight! Hit a small lake near my house to throw streamers with my 5wt and brought along my Iwana for some practice. After hooking a few 20"+ rainbows on the "western", it was time to bust out the Iwana. Tied on a size 18 BWO to slightly match what was coming off not expecting anything as no fish were rising. First I have to say the rod casts unbelievably well and I felt fulfilled just casting onto actual water for the first time. After a few casts, I noticed some trout checkin out the BWO and all of a sudden WHAM! Fly disappeared and the fight was on, this fish was way too much of a brute for the rod but we fought anyway and he broke me off. He was approximately 18" and fat. Tied on another BWO and gave it second try. Not long and I was playing and landing a very bright and healthy 14" rainbow! All in all extremely impressed by this rod in every way from casting to fighting, its truely an unreal feeling almost like starting fly fishing all over again. Cant wait for summer and some skinny mountain streams.
bridge

Re: Hooked just like a trout!

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:40 am

Hurray! Welcome to the forum Bridge. Thanks for sharing the first experience with tenkara. Glad you're "hooked just like a trout!"
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jbenenson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:05 pm

Great!! Almost the same thing happened to me the first time I used my Yamame. I hooked a large fish that broke off in about two seconds, but I caught the second one: a healthy 14" brown. Like you I was hooked immediately on this ancient style of fly fishing. I can definitely say that the experience gets better and better. Enjoy!
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby rsetina » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:29 pm

Awesome Bridge. Sound like you had a good time with your Iwana. Hope I have some luck like that on the Truckee next week.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby wrknapp » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:47 am

I just received my new 11' Iwana and was able to do a little lawn casting with the 10lb level line yesterday before the wind came in. I can hardly wait to get out on the stream when the warm temps return and the wind dies down in a day or two. I remember how excited I was when I hooked my first fish on my Ayu. I have most of what's left of my old tackle on eBay right now. No use keeping what I'll never use.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Return to Your Tenkara Experience