Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

First trip with Tenkara equipment (Northern nevada)

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Re: First trip with Tenkara equipment (Northern nevada)

Postby rsetina » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Great post and question! Glad to hear you got out to fish for the first time. Even though you didn't catch anything from your post I can tell you had a good time. The experts above gave you some good advise. I don't thing I can add anything to what they said. Get out and fish your rod and everything will come together.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby statikpunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:23 pm

I can't see the top row of your little Okuma box, any bead head nymphs in there? Careful not to tick the rod with the bead on a cast.

i keep my bead heads in one of the windowed boxes, yeah I used a tungsten bead head for most of that day. I have heard to be careful of hitting my tip..and its because of my own inability that i was using that circle cast, but as a silver lining because of that style of cast i didnt touch my tip once (which is something that i have heard about and was a little worried about)

i am by no means a fly fishing master and even with my traditional gear, i have for years struggled with knots in my tippet and hitting the tip of my rod with my fly. and seeing Dr .I on the dvd casting in circles and false casting in figure eights inspired me to give it a try. and I have to say that i am gonna work on my straight casting, but Im gonna use that circle casting more than i initially thought.

thanks for your help everybody..I have a whole list of things to work on next time im out, which, with the weather finally clearing up here. shouldnt be to far in the future :)
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work :)
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby jbenenson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:02 am

One last tip...

Look at the first casting diagram on the home page, and forget the second. That is the arc that you want, but the line in the diagram is wrong.

I once took a nymphing lesson from hall of fame guide and author Taylor Streit. At one point he told me to forget about "casting": just lift the line up and put it down with no backcast. You can cover a lot of water this way in no time at all. It's the way I use my tenkara rod and line. You will never get a tangle. Try it!

Good luck with your tenkara experience!
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Previous

Return to Your Tenkara Experience