Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tangles

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tangles

Postby davebanker » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:06 pm

Disclaimer: My casts are not tight, or maybe they are too tight at times.
One of the obvious benefits of a Tenkara rod to me is the lack of snake guides on the pole. I fished in a bit of breeze today from a U-shaped float tube spinning all directions with a traditional rig and spent (what seemed like, anyways) more time untangling knots than fishing. Lots of folks out on this lake (more like a lake with a spring creek running through it) and the fish were aggressive on the surface but were pretty finicky. Three strikes but none to hand. Strangely, I didn't see a fish landed but must have seen 50+rises that broke the surface. With anglers surrounding them with all sorts of hardware, it really was perplexing. Interesting day. What I took from it is that I much prefer the simplicity of my Tenkara rod, even if the range is limited in the stillwater situation. I'm pretty sure my fly would've spent 20-30 more minutes in the zone without all the untangling and repositioning. The only reason I didn't use it is because I couldn't find my furled leader :shock: :oops: :evil:
davebanker

Re: Tangles

Postby rsetina » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:05 pm

Sounds like you had a good time despite now getting any fish to hand. I fished my Ayu on still water last year, several months ago, and had good success.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby pszy22 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:11 am

Excuse me for the non Tenkara related diversion but ....

Dave,

Have you tried a furled leader on your western outfit. I find they really help in eliminating tailing loops and tangled lines. Tangles are NO FUN, especially when fish are rising all around. I've been there (about a thousand times), but since I started fishing furled leaders several years ago, have eliminated most.

have fun,
pszy22

Postby rsetina » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Using a furled leader helps a great deal. I've tangled my furled leader several times and it's very easy to untangle due to the thickness of the line.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience