Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Took the Ayu

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Took the Ayu

Postby narcodog » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Well it was a great day today. The temps were in the 60's, no wind and there water was at just the right volume. So I took the Ayu for a ride on a N.C. DH stream. I fish a 16 olive flymph on the surface and caught six Bows and one Brown. I love that rod, it is a blast to fish. My fishn partner got skunked which does not happen often. :lol:
narcodog

Re: Took the Ayu

Postby rsetina » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:15 am

Sounds like a beautiful day to go fishing. Sorry you friend got skunked. Wonder if he's think about buying a Tenkara rod?
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby John Dunn » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:33 am

Ive been watching you and was going to drop you a PM about your Tenkara Rod. I guess you still are using your outfit. I am real close to getting involved in the new habit. :roll: I think I will wait till sometime in May to order a Ayu 5.5 ,The streams I fish are 15 to 20 feet wide with native browns 3 to 20 inch long. The fish are very educated and are pressured a great deal,with a no keep rule. I thought the tenkara system with a better presentation might very well be the ticket? If I have selected wrong please let me know.

Best
John Dunn
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
John Dunn

Postby jeffkreager » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:17 pm

My Tenkara got wet for the first time this season just last week. My trip started with a mile walk in a foot of snow (the road was closed) and ended fishless but none the less it was a good day.
jeffkreager

Postby rsetina » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:00 pm

John, I think the Ayu would be a good choice. I have one and it's the one I fish first when I take the three I own on a trip.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby narcodog » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:47 pm

John, I would get one now. They are great with flymph's and nymphs and you could practice without all of the leaves on the trees. Then when the drys start you will be ready.

As far as my old friend goes, well he is pretty cheap and pretty set in his ways so I don't think he'll take the plunge. Shoot he has a Payne rod that he won't fish, he likes his plastic.
narcodog

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:05 pm

John Dunn wrote:The streams I fish are 15 to 20 feet wide
If I have selected wrong please let me know.

If they're only 15 feet wide and brushy - with overhanging canopy, I'd think seriously about getting a slightly shorter rod. The thirteen foot Ayu may render some spots very tricky to fish. I'd consider the 12' Ebisu as well. If the 20 inchers seem to have lockjaw most of the time, I wouldn't even rule out the 11' Iwana. If streamside or overhead foliage is not a problem, the Ayu would be fine.
CM_Stewart

Postby John Dunn » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Ayu 5.5 it will be, thanks for the reply's. I think I will order early and take the good advise I will post after season gets started and let everyone know what I think. We still have three feet of snow around here, with rain coming ,that might help.

Best

John Dunn

"These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it."
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
John Dunn

Return to Your Tenkara Experience