Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

leader connection/casting issue?

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

leader connection/casting issue?

Postby CreationBear » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Finally had a nice, sunny day to lawn cast my new Ayu (thanks to all concerned! :) ) but I ran into a small quirk that I hadn't experienced when casting a friend's Ayu on-stream. Specifically, today I was feeling a very slight "thump" when I stopped the rod on the backcast and began to bring the rod forward through the power stroke.

I'm curious if anybody has noticed the same thing. I double-checked to make sure all the sections were extended, so I'm pretty sure the issue is at what I would have called the "tip-top" on a Western fly rod and the leader connection. Is it possible that I'm bringing the rod-tip around in a circle and catching the leader connection on the way forward? (After a couple of decades fishing in the Southern Appalachians, I don't exactly have an "Art Flick" arm slot! :lol: ) Another contributing factor might have been the longish tippet and busy dry that I was throwing...perhaps a lazy backcast leaving a bit of slack for the rod-tip to take up before driving forward?

At any rate, any thoughts and possible fixes appreciated.
CreationBear

Re: leader connection/casting issue?

Postby CM_Stewart » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Were you casting a level line on the lawn and the tapered line on the stream? With the level line, especially the 15#, you can often feel a little tug as the line fully extends.
CM_Stewart

Postby rsetina » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:47 pm

At first I thought you may have been feeling the weight of a beaded nymph but it looks like you were tossing a dry. I think any large fly will be felt on the back cast especially due to the soft tip section.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby CreationBear » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:55 pm

C.M.-- Actually vice versa: I had on a tapered line today, but no doubt I was overly sensitive playing with my new toy! Certainly I can live with the "tug"--I was just worried that my loosey-goosey casting stroke was going to cause me some problems, especially when a too-long tippet and bushy fly didn't seem to want to go where I wanted them to.

I will have to dial in the line/tippet configuration, though--what's the Rx for bushy dries when you're stuck with 6x tippet on the terminal end? More than most, I'll be looking for accuracy rather than delicacy--you'll have the horsehair market to yourself, I'm afraid. :)
CreationBear

Postby pszy22 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:18 am

It sounds like maybe the tug you feel is just the mass of the line loading the rod. The furled line is going to have more mass than level line, so the inertia might be more noticeable to you.

Regarding fishing bushy wind resistant flies, the challenge is the same fishing eastern or western. You need a line/leader/tippet that is capable of transferring the energy you generate with your cast, thru the line/leader/tippet to overcome the air resistance encountered by the fly. That energy gets transferred via one of two material properties, either mass (as in a fly line/furled line/furled leader) or stiffness (as in a single strand leader/tippet). The stiffness factor works like a bow and arrow, the material stores the energy used to put a bend in it, and releases it when it straightens out to it's natural unstressed state.

So if you are relying on mass, you need to add more mass. If relying on stiffness, you need to add stiffness (a thicker piece of mono).

I've been using a weight forward taper in some of the Tenkara lines I furl, and find like in western fly fishing, the WF taper does help power out bushy, wind resistant flies. The added bit of mass towards the end of the line provides a bit of extra oomph when it comes time to turning over a wind resistant fly. Of course, you do tend to give up some level of delicacy. Just like fishing a DT vs WF line in western fly fishing.

Hope that helps,
pszy22

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:10 am

CreationBear wrote:I will have to dial in the line/tippet configuration, though--what's the Rx for bushy dries when you're stuck with 6x tippet on the terminal end? More than most, I'll be looking for accuracy rather than delicacy--you'll have the horsehair market to yourself, I'm afraid. :)

First thing to do is go to 5x. :lol: Seriously, though, consider the tippet to be the weak link in a chain (which is not a bad thing, a weak link was put put in for safety reasons). You do not need 4 feet of weak link - six or eight inches will do nicely. Build a tapered leader from your line to your short tippet. I think the line extenders supplied on the furled lines may be 3x. You could probably replace it with 0x or 1x, and step down 1x at a time till you get to 5x. Fluorocarbon would still give you a density advantage.

Then, do you need the fly to be that that large and that bushy? Try the next size down.

I may indeed have the horsehair market to myself, but then again, this time last year I had the tenkara market to myself. By this time next year, who knows? ;)
CM_Stewart

Postby CreationBear » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:07 am

Excellent responses, all-- :) Thank y'all for helping me up the steep side of the learning curve.
CreationBear

Return to Your Tenkara Experience