Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Brazilian Tenkara experience (kind of)!

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Brazilian Tenkara experience (kind of)!

Postby blatt1970 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:59 am

:D
Hi to all!
After a long discussion about tenkara here in Brazil (is it fly or not, etc, etc), i went out and decided to give it a try and ask to the fish what do they think about it!
Well, they were very responsive, about a dozen came to my fly to tell their oppinion :lol:
Actualy i was using a crappie pole with some braid as line... But after this (very) sucessfull experience i wrote to Daniel and ordered a "real" tenkara outfit!
Well, i hardly can't wait!
----
Peacocks opinion:

"It's fly indeed!"

Traíra (ou toothy creater) has it aproved too!
Last edited by blatt1970 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blatt1970

Re: Tenkara experience (kind of)!

Postby jbenenson » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:59 am

Nice fish, nice photos. Once you have a real tenkara rod you will really enjoy this type of fishing. Please keep the photos and comments coming.
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby wrknapp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:12 am

Great pictures. You really are going to be in for quite a treat with one of the TenkaraUSA rods. Keep the pictures coming.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby blatt1970 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:11 pm

jbenenson wrote:... Once you have a real tenkara rod you will really enjoy this type of fishing. Please keep the photos and comments coming.

8-)
Well, i hope so!
Perhaps i dont' know what a tenkara rod is like, after trying the crappie pole at least
i know what i don't want it to be:
1 - Whippy
2 - unbalanced (does that word exist?)
With a crapie pole you can actualy fish but you can't accuratly cast or make a reasonable presentation.
It feels more heavy than actuly it is cause its unbalanced!
Bye!
blatt1970

Postby jeffkreager » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Looks like fun Blatt. I'm sure you will enjoy your Tenkara rod. As said above. Keep the post coming.
jeffkreager

Postby rsetina » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:36 pm

Just goes to show we can still learn from our fishy friends. :lol: Glad you had a good time and that you ordered a new rod. You'll have a great time with it.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby CM_Stewart » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:33 pm

blatt1970 wrote:Perhaps i dont' know what a tenkara rod is like, after trying the crappie pole at least
i know what i don't want it to be:
1 - Whippy
2 - unbalanced (does that word exist?)

None of the tenkara rods are nearly as whippy as a fiberglass crappie pole. Of the different Tenkara USA rods, the Ayu is the whippiest and the Yamame is the least whippy. I'm sure Daniel can give you good advice on which rod would be most suitable for the fish you will be catching.

Tenkara rods also feel like they are better balanced than fiberglass crappie rods. Like any other rod, the longer the rod the more you can feel the weight of rod - so you might like an Ebisu or Yamame better than an Ayu or Amago.
CM_Stewart

Postby blatt1970 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:17 am

:D
jeffkreager, rsetina thanks for you coments, i'll try my best to bring new "hot" pictures!
CM_Stewart
Wactching a video about how to change Tenkara rod sections
i noticed the butt cap is made of metal and also there's a metal "sleeve" inide the handle, under the cork, where the but cap is screwd.
I may be wrong, but guess this metal parts are not there only for "aesthetics", the extra weight in this parts is used to counter balance the rod...
Balanced rod give us more control on tip action and line direction.
In a western fly rod, counter balance is the second or third function of a fly reel.
As tenkara got rid of reels they shall have used another "expedient"!
blatt1970

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:33 am

Hey Carlos,
Bem-vindo ao forum.

"these metal parts [bottom metal caps] are not there only for "aesthetics", the extra weight in this parts is used to counter balance the rod..."

Actually the metal parts used on the bottom of the rods are nearly weightless. Their weight has practically no effect on the rods. The balancing of the rods come mainly from two things: weight/length of first segment, rod taper, and the design of the handle.

The handle of a tenkara rod plays a very crucial part in a tenkara rod as it provides comfort and helps balance the rods.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby blatt1970 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:16 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Daniel, muito grato pelo carinho e atenção dispensados!
Thanks, for your kindness and attention.
I'm also thankfull for throwing some light on what a tenkara rod is like!
Maybe to others this is not that importnat, but to me it is very important
to know that i'm dealing with a piece of art, tecnology and tradition
instead of a merely disguised crapie pole!
blatt1970

Return to Your Tenkara Experience