Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara in the Sierras

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara in the Sierras

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:36 am

Just returned from a "scouting" trip up to the Eastern and Northern Sierra Nevada. I have been looking for a good stream to shoot a film on tenkara.
Unfortunately the water level was still pretty high on most streams due to spring runoff.
Today I re-found one beautiful, and tenkara-perfect stream I visited last year. The water level was good, and perfect for tenkara: heavy currents tended to be right in the middle of the stream, about 10 ft away, so with the long rod I was able to hold a fly on any slower water on the other side. Unfortunately a major T-Storm is in the area, today the rain came when it was time to leave anyways, at around 7:45PM.

Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Tenkara in the Sierras

Postby jeffkreager » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:13 am

Very nice! It's been years since I've fished the Sierras. The pictures make me want to go back.
jeffkreager

Postby jeffkreager » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:54 am

Daniel,

I couldn't stand it any longer. Your photos forced me to purchase airfare to CA. I'll be fishing the Sierras the week of July 14th. If your available I have room for a fishing partner.
jeffkreager

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:30 pm

Jeff,

That sounds terrific!!! Hehe, you'll find some terrific fishing here.

Where are you planning to go? Are you touching down in the San Francisco area? Let me know what your plans are, so far my calendar is looking fairly open and I'd love to join you on a Sierra stream somewhere, we'll have plenty of options.

I went fishing a small stream yesterday up near Placerville, had a 40+ day of tiny trout and a couple of 11"ers.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby mcpenttila » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Nice pics Daniel. Too bad about the weather changing suddenly. Maybe someday I'll make it out there to hit those stretches also, someday.

Love the rod and technique.

Just need to keep spreading the word.

Matt
Fly Fishing New England and eventually the World.
mcpenttila

Postby GeorgeP » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Daniel,
I hate to go on record, but we (two novice, senior citizens) are heading for the Chico-Quincy area to see if one of us can catch her first fish. We are relying on our Tenkara rods and as much luck as we can garner. We'll report back our results, embarrassing as they may be. Hopefully, optimism is not required. -- George and Judy (and thanks for giving us the Tenkara fishing for dummies send off at the Golden Gateway Angling and Casting Club)
GeorgeP

Postby jeffkreager » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:39 am

Daniel,

I'm flying in on July 14th and staying at a relatives home near Shaver Lake. I'll PM you with more details. There will be some serious fishing done that week.

Jeff
jeffkreager

Return to Your Tenkara Experience