Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Taking the Tenkara plunge

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Re: Taking the Tenkara plunge

Postby CreationBear » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:50 am

Definitely give the Ayu a try sometime if you're coming from a cane background--while there's something to be said for light/quick, point-and-shoot rods in some conditions, I really like the feedback that a slower-tempo, heavier rod gives you. Under tight conditions, I think I'd rather
"maneuver" a long, slow rod around/under obstacles rather than "flicking" a shorter, faster rod and hoping for the best. :)
CreationBear

Postby rsetina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Welcome to the Tenkara Pool. Glad you took the plunge and I'm sure you'll have a great time with your new rod. :)
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Rebecca Allen » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Introduced the rod to one of my favorite small streams today. I was there to fish for steelhead, but the rod is so portable, I just carried it with my net and when I got to some thinner water unlikely to hold steelhead, I put the 7 wt. down and quickly rigged up the Iwana. Casting came quickly despite a bit of wind and overall it was really enjoyable. There are two things I need to figure out though. The furled leader gets really twisted and tangles very easily. Not sure if that is due to something I am doing wrong, or is just the way it is. Thinking i may tie up a tapered line to see how that works. Also- has anyone ever tried just a regular store bought tapered leader for a line? Additionally I need to figure out the visability thing. Since the mono loop at the end of the furled leader broke today, I think I am going to replace it with some red or chartruese amnesia - that way it will act as a indicator as well.

No fish today on the rod today, but it is clear it will be a very effective technique for this small stream when the big fish are back out in the big lake. On the other hand, I have hooked up with brown trout over 20 inches the last two times out here, so maybe I need to reconsider this as my small fish stream.

Any advice on lines would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Rebecca Allen

Postby rsetina » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:10 pm

Glad you got out today Rebecca. Thanks for the report. As far as the line getting tangled, I've never had that problem. Not sure why it's happening to you but try a level line. Daniel sells them and I'm going to try it out tomorrow. Hope to hear that you had a better time next time out.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby wrknapp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:41 am

Furled leaders twist when you break them off suddenly or snag your tippet and pull hard until the line is released. Gently stroking them down the entire length will straighten them again as they untwist. If you snag alot or hangup in brush then get the level line or make your own. You can buy longer tapered commercial leaders. Just tie a perfection loop in the end and attach some backing loop to loop just as the piece that cam with your furled line. You can build your own leader/lines by following leader formulas with appropriate adjustments for the longer length needed or you can just use a long level piece of mono or fluorocarbon. Fluorocarbon is denser and more supple when stretched than most mono so you need to experiment. Generally for example, a 15lb test fluoro may equate to a 17lb length of mono. CM Stewart ( see his info site : http://www.tenkarabum.com/)likes his level lines to be highly visible but others make do with clearer mono or fluoro. I have tried many combos because of wind and the fact that sometimes I fish multiple beadhead nymphs or beadhead woolly buggers so have even used 20 and 30lb red Amnesia level lines. Experiment. Since you have already been a fly fisher you probably have lots of leader materials already accumulated. Just remember that loop to looping a short section of transition mono or fluoro is a good idea before attaching your 5lb or less breaking strength tippet.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:29 am

Although I had some twisting with the furled line the first time I used it, after a little stretching and stroking it wasn't a problem - other than whenever I had to break off a snag - then it will twist like crazy. Even then, like Randy said, a bit of stretching and stroking will get it back to normal.

I have tried knotless tapered leaders (12' 4x cut back to 10', then 3' of 6x tippet). You could probably cast one well enough on your Iwana, and may also be able to cast a 9' 3x leader with 6x tippet added. (I think you'd have trouble if you tried it with a Yamame or Hane, though). My vision must be worse than everyone else's on the board, because I just can't see clear or lo-vis green mono if I'm not fishing in direct sunlight.

Fluorcarbon casts so much better than mono that I wouldn't use mono if you can see fluorocarbon. For the price of a 2-pack of fluorocarbon tapered leaders, you could get a coil of the 10# pink fluorocarbon level line (which I prefer because I can see it - the whole line is an indicator) I think the 15# is a bit heavy for the Iwana.

Randy gave you great advice. Experiment.
CM_Stewart

Postby pszy22 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 am

Rebecca,

PM sent.
pszy22

Previous

Return to Your Tenkara Experience