Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Weber River Winter Tenkara

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Weber River Winter Tenkara

Postby LarryTullis » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:52 pm

I had to get out on the water today so I fished the Weber River in Utah near my home and had a blast. There was a blanket hatch of #30 midges so seeing my dry fly was impossible and hits on top were rare so I went to small nymphs and a small indicator and had a riot. Got 35 browns 9-16" and 6 whitefish, all 15-19" in about 2 1/2 hours. The 13' Ayu was perfect for the job. My line winding system works totally awesome and I used a tying thread furled leader a friend made for me that worked great but needs better floatation than Aquel. Any Ideas? Scotchguard? Rain-X?
LarryTullis

Re: Weber River Winter Tenkara

Postby rsetina » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:31 pm

LarryTullis wrote:I had to get out on the water today so I fished the Weber River in Utah near my home and had a blast. There was a blanket hatch of #30 midges so seeing my dry fly was impossible and hits on top were rare so I went to small nymphs and a small indicator and had a riot. Got 35 browns 9-16" and 6 whitefish, all 15-19" in about 2 1/2 hours. The 13' Ayu was perfect for the job. My line winding system works totally awesome and I used a tying thread furled leader a friend made for me that worked great but needs better floatation than Aquel. Any Ideas? Scotchguard? Rain-X?

Sounds like you had a great time! 35 fish in 2.5 hours. WOW! As for the thread leader, I was told that red muclin works well but be careful, it can stain your clothes.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby CM_Stewart » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:20 am

I've used mucilin with a thread leader and it works for a while. I don't know if it works better than Aquel or the others. If you want your line to float, I'd suggest having several lines and change to a second one when the first stops floating.

The other alternative is to use a shorter, denser line and try to keep most of it off the water and tight enough to detect any twitches or hesitations. That's the method I prefer, so I haven't done much research on floatants.
CM_Stewart

Postby wrknapp » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Great report. I'm envious. When I have used thread leaders and silk lines in the past, I always used red tin mucilin, but I also always changed lines or leaders once they soaked through. I had cut my silk line in half and let half dry in the sun while I used the other. The same with thread furled leaders. I have never tried other floatants, but I think after 35 fish any natural material will be soaked through and through.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Return to Your Tenkara Experience