Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

a REAL bummer

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

a REAL bummer

Postby jbenenson » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Prior to my trip this weekend I decided to check with the IGFA to make sure that the use of a Tenkara rod is acceptable for setting records.

Bottom line: it isn't! :x

They define angling as using a rod, reel, and line. I tried to reason with them that fishing without a reel was an acceptable form of angling for many, many years before reels were ever used, but they are stuck in an unfortunate paradigm.

Daniel, perhaps you can organize a petition drive to have them accept Tenkara-type angling, but for now they definitely won't.

Of course I will bring my Yamame rod with me anyway, but I am very disappointed in their decision.
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Re: a REAL bummer

Postby rsetina » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Sorry to hear they won't accept a tenkara rod as an acceptable rod for the record. Don't understand why, but as you said, maybe a petition will work. Time will tell. In the meantime good luck fishing.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Nycflyangler » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:13 pm

What exactly do the regulations say? Does the line have to be attached to the reel? I'm wondering if you could get away with taping one of those quarter sized keyring reels to the rod to satisfy this requirement.
Nycflyangler

Postby jbenenson » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:00 pm

I haven't checked the fine print but the woman at IGFA headquarters said that the Tenkara outfit that I described could not be used to qualify for a record. They are very rigid and take the whole thing way to seriously IMHO. A guy in Japan just tied the world record for largemouth bass and they made him take a lie detector test to verify his claim. :o BTW, he passed.

Anybody can get a catch certificate from them for $15 for any fish you catch. Maybe for kids that's okay but it seems silly to me.

BTW, you can compete in international fly fishing tournaments using a Tenkara rod. That's how the whole idea of Czech nymphing caught on. They tied their "lines" to the end of their rods and won a few years ago! I was an observer (judge) last year at the US regional qualifying and their rules are tough. Among other things: no indicators, the bead on a fly can be only a certain size, the flies must be a certain minimum distance apart, etc. You can view the rules (.pdf) at...

http://www.fips-mouche.com/index.php option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=106&Itemid=11

(one line in your browser's address bar)

Wouldn't it be cool 8-) if somebody qualified using a Tenkara rod?
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby rsetina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:02 pm

jbenenson wrote:I haven't checked the fine print but the woman at IGFA headquarters said that the Tenkara outfit that I described could not be used to qualify for a record. They are very rigid and take the whole thing way to seriously IMHO. A guy in Japan just tied the world record for largemouth bass and they made him take a lie detector test to verify his claim. :o BTW, he passed.

Maybe you could get them to start a new record based on the use of a Tenkara rod. I would hope they were open minded enough to at least consider it.

jbenenson wrote:Wouldn't it be cool 8-) if somebody qualified using a Tenkara rod?

If you get them to do the above, that person could be you!
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby jbenenson » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:07 am

Rick, the IGFA is a very conservative organization. I strongly doubt that they will ever do anything to accept Tenkara fishing. It would be nice, but wouldn't a lot of things?
--

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby Nycflyangler » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:46 pm

There's a thin line between conservative and asinine. The point of rules is, or should be, to promote a level playing field. When they start excluding people over picayune technicalities, Something ought to be done about it. Tenkara needs to get some attack lawyers on the case.

jbenenson wrote:Rick, the IGFA is a very conservative organization. I strongly doubt that they will ever do anything to accept Tenkara fishing. It would be nice, but wouldn't a lot of things?
Nycflyangler

Postby jbenenson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:57 am

I hope that you're joking about attack lawyers! The IGFA is a private organization; they're entitled to set whatever rules that they want. I don't like the fact that tenkara fishing isn't included but I'm not too upset about it. I suggest that you be the same: relax and enjoy the sport.
--

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby rvrgzr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:59 pm

And then there are those anglers who enjoy catching a trophy and/or record-size fish and quietly slipping it back into the water. It all depends on what your needs are, I guess.
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience