Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Another first Tenkara experience

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Another first Tenkara experience

Postby mhackney » Sun May 31, 2009 6:58 am

I was able to try out one of my new TenkaraUSA rods (12' Yamame) on Macedonia Brook in Ct. There is more detail on my blog (http://eclecticguy.com/2009/05/31/tenkara-fishing-on-macedonia-brook-ct/) but here is some information:

Macedonia Brook is a great little mountain stream - no wider than 15′ in most places and very tight with trees and shrubs on both banks, lots of boulders, and cascades. I decided that this would be the perfect place to try out my new TenkaraUSA Yamame rod and the flies I tied on Friday night. The flies were all size 12 on Tiemco 100 dry fly hooks according to the pattern Dr. Ishigaki uses - I posted about that on my blog the other day (you can select the "tenkara" category on the drop down menu on the right side of the page to see all of my tenkara posts).

In the past, I’ve tried to dab flies here with a conventional 7 1/2′ bamboo rod with limited success. The rod was too short to reach mid stream from the bank (there is really no reason to wade this little stream and scare the fish) and not good at casting a short length of line. The 12′ Yamame was perfect. Intuitively, you would think a long rod in such close surroundings would not work so well, but that was not the case. It was easy to push my way through the stream-side foliage and stick the rod tip out over mid stream. In a few places, I actually collapsed the rod before “going in” and then extending it out over the water. From this bank position I could easily cast the furled tenkara line using a side cast up and down stream. In some places, I could cast across the stream too. This is stealth fishing at its finest. The trout were not at all spooked like they would be by someone splashing around in their backyard.

On my 5th cast I caught a nice Rainbow Trout on a red-bodied, grizzly hackled fly. I cast the fly upstream from where I thought he was hiding, let it drift in to his lie, and pulsed it across stream. It proved to be irresistible! The first thought that went through my mind was “cool, that was fun”, the second thought was “eeks, how do I land this guy?”. Not surprisingly, landing was very similar to landing a fish with a loop rod. In fact, casting is also very similar. I hadn’t tried a loop rod on Macedonia Brook simply because the opportunity never came up. One big difference though is the lightness and suppleness of the graphite tenkara rod. It made for a very fun, fear-free (”omg, is my rod going to break?”) experience. Being able to collapse and extend the telescoping rod is an interesting advantage too. Here's the Rainbow:

Even he is trying to check out that tenkara rod - I am sure he has never seen one before! This photo also shows rod - it is a really attractive olive-gold color, supple and fun. Here is where I caught him:

He was hiding under that big boulder on the left. A little waterfall can be seen just to the right of the photo. I saw him dart out and grab something just before it went over the falls, so I knew where he was hiding. The water is so clear that even the slightest movement spooks these fish.

I caught one more slightly larger Rainbow a little later. I only had about 1 1/2 hrs to fish before I had to leave. It was a great time though!

cheers,
Michael
mhackney

Re: Another first Tenkara experience

Postby rsetina » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:23 pm

Sounds like you had a perfect day Michael. Thanks for the report even though I read it a couple of months late. I just joined the forum.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience