Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Biggest fish on a Tenkara rod

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Biggest fish on a Tenkara rod

Postby erik.ostrander » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:24 am

Not the best picture (cell phone), but the biggest fish I've caught on my Tenkara:

Post up your pics too!
erik.ostrander

Re: Biggest fish on a Tenkara rod

Postby jbenenson » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:50 am

Nice rainbow! Did you measure or weigh it?
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby erik.ostrander » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:45 pm

jbenenson wrote:Nice rainbow! Did you measure or weigh it?

Thanks, to measure it I took this photo. Then, at home, I measured the rod and came up with 16 solid inches.
erik.ostrander

Postby pszy22 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:24 pm

It might be a good idea to measure the various markings that are on your rods. I measure from the butt of the rod up to the various trade marks and rod specifications. If you remember what you measured, you always have an accurate measuring device in hand when on the stream.

If for whatever reason the rod is unmarked, or the markings do not align for the species pursued, you can always mark your rod with a small dot via a magic marker. I prefer to use the existing rod markings when possible.

If you happen to seek smaller prey, the rings on your cork handle provide a good ruler as well. If you hadn't already premeasured, just count the number of rings.

Using your rod lets you get a quick accurate measure of a fish so that you can get it back into the water where it belongs.
pszy22

Postby rsetina » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Very nice rainbow! My best so far is a bit over 13 inches. Maybe 14. Congratulation!

I've considered making marks on my rods but I think I'll get out the rod making tools and thread and wrap some measuring marks instead. I did that on my surf rods and it's really a great way to measure a fish.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience