Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

The River Why

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

The River Why

Postby Stephen McGowen » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:57 pm

A thread on this blog that mentioned Nantucket Sleigh Rides reminded me of THE RIVER WHY by David Duncan. In it, our hero meets the love of his life when he stumbles on her fishing for steelhead in a unique way ( very tenkara ) . Humerous and worth a read - one of the only two novels I know of with a fly fishing theme that is worth reading. SNOWFLY is the other...........check them out on the long winter nights/days ahead.
Stephen McGowen

Re: The River Why

Postby wrknapp » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:52 pm

"The Earth is Enough" and "A River Runs Through It" are two more.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby Stephen McGowen » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:35 pm

Both superb but neither are novels.
Middleton's ON THE SPINE OF TIME is better than THE EARTH IS ENOUGH but I like everything of his I've read. They are more collections of remeniscenses than a formal novel.
Maclean's is considered a novella, a short work.
SNOWFLY must be an homage to Herman Melville. The tale is hung on the bones of MOBY DICK but they are hunting mayflies not whales. Sadly , it doesn't approach the quality of MOBY DICK, but it is a fine read with fabulous imagery and a trip to the old Soviet Union as well as an encounter with a supposedly deceased American writer. Its a hoot.
Stephen McGowen

Postby wrknapp » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:52 pm

I really like "On The Spine of Time" also.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby Stephen McGowen » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:16 am

I'm sorry that Harry is no longer with us. Have you read THE STARLIGHT CREEK ANGLING SOCIETY ?
Since Harry's death the prices have gone crazy and I can't afford that one. There is much repetition in his books and I wonder if there is in that one as well.
I had a tough time getting through the one dealing with his depression despite the lovely Oh Mi and Kiwi LaReaux. I think it was called RING OF BRIGHT COUNTRY .
Stephen McGowen

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:12 am

Stephen McGowen wrote:SNOWFLY must be an homage to Herman Melville. The tale is hung on the bones of MOBY DICK but they are hunting mayflies not whales.

Boy, the mental image that creates is of an epic search for the great white fly hatch on the Housatonic River in Connecticut.

Image copyright Housatonic Meadows Fly Shop
CM_Stewart

Postby wrknapp » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:43 am

I've not read any other of Harry's books, but I read a story of his once about "Starlite Creek" and some old man who fished with a steel telescoping rod and a special fly he tied out of turkey feathers. It was really good. I don't remember what magazine it was in. Maybe he turned it into a book.

Randy
wrknapp

Postby jbenenson » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:07 pm

I think that Harry Middleton is a great author. I have all of his books including a hardback first edition of "The Earth is Enough". BTW, isn't that a intriguing title?
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Return to Your Tenkara Experience