Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Stillwater tenkara

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Stillwater tenkara

Postby Morgan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:47 am

I tried non-stream fishing for the first time Sunday, on a small pond near my home that's stocked with trout in the fall, and will be back tomorrow. The obvious limitation in pond fishing with tenkara gear (and with rod-and-reel, for that matter) is inability to reach the fish. But they did seem to be rising closer to one particular part of the shoreline (especially after they were kicked out of the middle of the pond by the swans) and it happened to be an accesible stretch, so I moved there. It required stomach-deep wading (3 feet of water, 1 foot of muck) and the patience to wait until a fish came into range, but after a few minutes one did. Naturally the Ebisu delivered the size 24 soft-hackle delicately and accurately and the fish took right away, a nice-looking, ice-cold 10-inch brown. Others were rising and I may have caught more if I could have stayed longer.
As long as the fish are within range, tenkara works fine in stillwater situations. I did find myself wishing I could perform a hand-twist retrieve, but with such a short line, it's not so bad to have to move the rod to move the fly. The Ebisu also cast small, lightweight streamers with no problem at all.
Morgan

Re: Stillwater tenkara

Postby rsetina » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi Morgan,

Sounds like you had a nice day fishing. Is the pond too small for a float tube? I'm wondering if you could have had an easier time fishing from one. I always get nervous in a lake or pond when I'm waist deep and start sinking. I weight 265 pounds and I don't think anyone could pull me out of the muck. :lol:
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Morgan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi Rick,

I've often thought about float-tubing this pond. It' big enough, and I think (but I'm not sure) float tubs are allowed. I've tried wading it before but backed off when I encountered the muck. This time, I moved forward very slowly, and just when I was beginning to wonder how deep it was my foot finally settled on firm bottom. I think most of the pond is that same depth, so I may be able to walk farther than I used to think. Kicks up a hell of a plume of silt, but that didn't seem to bother the trout, and may have even hidden my legs like a smokescreen!

Don't have any of these complications when fishing small streams.
Morgan

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:42 pm

Morgan wrote:Don't have any of these complications when fishing small streams.

If you'll drive I'll show you where the quicksand is on Cross River.
CM_Stewart

Postby rsetina » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:45 pm

I took a step on the West Fork of the San Gabriel River once and wound up hip deep in a hole of the smelliest muck I've ever encountered. I fell sideways and my long sleeve shirt got into it too. I don't like stepping into water I'm not sure of. Morgan you are a brave angler. :lol:
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby davebanker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:02 pm

I've decided to focus some effort this upcoming season to float tubing some local lakes while fishing chironomids. Has anyone here had success using their Tenkara rod for this kind of fishing? I'm wondering if manipulating and leading the pole low and back across the body in a very, very slow manner could mimic the hand wrap retrieves?
davebanker

Postby rsetina » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:36 pm

I fished Box lake last year with my Ayu and a small size 18 zebra midge and caught 14 or 15 brook trout in one area where the reeds come up out of the water. I just let the fly sink until I felt a little tug. It was alot of fun. It's a very effective way to fish a lake near the shore.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby davebanker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:45 pm

That's good to know and sounds like a blast. I can just picture those hungry LLV trout. Miss that place!
davebanker

Return to Your Tenkara Experience