Warehouses in the USA and the UK for shipping within the European Union quickly and with no customs.

LINKS: FAQ - Choosing a Tenkara Rod - Forum - Easy Ordering

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:18 pm 

I just got back from the International Fly Tying Symposium in Somerset, N.J.. It was awesome. But it was also tenkara-free, with two exceptions: Kevin Kelleher's book, "Tenkara: Radically Simple Ultralight Fly Fishing" which was available for purchase from one of the vendors, and snide remark from a reasonably well-known fly-fishing writer who noticed it.
"I had an encounter with one of those tenkara people, and it wasn't pleasant," he groused to his buddy. I was standing right next to them. I never would have known who this writer was except for his name tag.
He then muttered something like "Where'd you get the crappie pole? and then, only partly audible, "things cost 10 bucks."
Clearly these two have a low opinion of tenkara. But interestingly, they were careful to keep their voices low when saying so.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:54 pm 

Morgan wrote:
..."I had an encounter with one of those tenkara people, and it wasn't pleasant," he groused to his buddy. I was standing right next to them. I never would have known who this writer was except for his name tag.

He must have been outfished!

They perceive Tenkara as a threat - fly fishing can't be that simple - what does that say about all our fancy accoutrements? I hate to get too biblical, but can anyone say pharisee?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here though...

to paraphrase Johnny Rotten (thanks Jason) "No future...no future...for reels"

Also - please tell who it was! So I can stage a book burning, just kidding, but seriously who was it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Part of the reason I have stayed away from trade shows till now, but I think it's time I start attending them...

About me and Tenkara USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 am 

Daniel @ TenkaraUSA wrote:
Part of the reason I have stayed away from trade shows till now, but I think it's time I start attending them...

It seems like attending a trade show would just be a couple days of frustration, don't you think? People are either going to be open about it, or trash talkers. I've never met anyone in between.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:12 am 

Anthony wrote:
Morgan wrote:
..."I had an encounter with one of those tenkara people, and it wasn't pleasant," he groused to his buddy. I was standing right next to them. I never would have known who this writer was except for his name tag.

He must have been outfished!

Could also have been on line. I've had a number of encounters with trash talkers that weren't pleasant, and I do have a hard time leaving well enough alone when someone starts writing stuff like that on a fly fishing forum. I know there is no hope of changing his mind, but I really do feel that the guy who starts the thread asking for opinions deserves at least one opinion from someone who's actually fished with a tenkara rod a bit.

With almost everyone using a screen name, there's no way to know who I've pissed off on line. I figure they're mostly people who have a vested interest in some way of keeping fly fishing complicated (like casting instructors) or elite (like writers), or people who have spent thousands on big name rods and reels and don't want to accept that someone can get just as much fun with simple, inexpensive gear.

I see two potenital drawbacks in attending trade shows. (1) the trash talkers may hang around and not let you have a serious conversation with the people who genuinely are interested, and (2) the casting pools will definitely highlight tenkara's limitation on casting distance (especially if Lefty Kreh just boomed out a few 90 foot casts with his off hand while telling jokes) but cannot show its big advantage with the ease of getting a drag free drift or that the better presentation will catch more fish.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:42 am 

Anthony, I've edited out the guy's name from the original of this post but I'll DM you. I don't want to further harden feelings.

Chris, I can definitely imagine a scenario where some spoilsport provokes an argument at a show. It definitely wouldn't be pretty and would require great patience and diplomacy by the folks in the booth. But I think people like that are very much in the minority -- most people are at least willing to give tenkara a respectful hearing and usually even try to find something nice to say about it, even if they're not inclined to give it a try themselves. You're right, it wouldn't look good on a casting pool, but having a video playing at the booth of tenkara on a stream would make the appeal very clear right away.

By the way I've been asked to give a talk on tenkara at the Clearwater (Albany NY) chapter of Trout Unlimited in January. The one I gave at my local chapter here on Long Island was very well-received.

Last edited by Morgan on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:19 am 

"Some people just don't get it".....an I fear they never will. There are people out there who are just nasty, ignorant, have their own agenda, etc. There is nothing You, I, Daniel, or even the second coming of J.C. will do to change their minds. That's OK, just let them have their $700 rods and 15 fly boxes and another 500 items that might not just bankrupt them but drown them in the stream to boot. If you are catching just as many or more it will just piss them off. When the two methods of angling are viewed side by side in a stream, the people who are at least willing to be open to it will see the advantages of tenkara for themselves. All one has to do is take a quick look using google and see that info and websites related to tenkara and interest in tenkara has increased dramactically in the last two years. And it's popularity will continue to increase, of that I have no doubt. I have met, through blogging, a number of other anglers who are not tenkara fishermen but are positive about it. The average person who is willing to listen is the person enthusiasts of tenkara should focus on.

By the way Morgan...Two years ago I met one person while fishing on L.I. who had any idea what tenkara was but after your talk to the trout unlimited chapter here a while back I have met a number of western-style anglers from that chapter who not only recognize it but had some positive things to say about it. They may not be converts but they were open to the idea and that is all that we can hope for.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:23 am 

Some Fly Fishing Trade Shows for 2012 would be an interesting thing to try. I feel if played right, they could be a good thing.

With the lite-weight LCD screens they have these days, I would position a nice sized display high in the booth running with an endless loop of the positive aspects of tenkara. No need to say “we do this better than Western Fly Fishing” or anything like that. Be the positive politician, probably the first of its kind <grin>, and just tout the strong positive aspects of our sport.

With an LCD screen running the whole show, it is amazing how many people will walk by the booth, even if they do not ask questions at the booth, but they will see images in their head after the show of a beginner casting easily very quickly, more seasoned fisherman producing the best drag free drifts ever seen, real end-user stories of what attracted this person to tenkara, how lite the gear is so great for backpackers, how our tenkara community has grown in the last 2 years since hitting the states, how quickly the rod deploys and you are just out in the river doing what tenkara does best, fishing, etc....

No need to make it a western vs eastern thing and just show the strengths of tenkara and how it can be a great asset to add to the fishermans tool box.

Would be great if you can have someone capture on film with high viz line drag free drifts, casting that cleary shows with tenkara we are casting a fly and not dapping, casting very precise short casts or that huge 30’ cast, beginners casting and learning quickly how to fish tenkara style, Veterans of War using tenkara gear to catch fish and the smiles and happiness it brings to their lives, families all fishing together showing dad or mom showing their kids how to fish, etc...

So many great aspects of tenkara and even if you can’t convert western fly users, shows like these have so many beginners or newbies or intermediate or those with open minds at them so you can for sure spread the word to those that want to listen.

The joy of attracting just a few newbies to the sport far outweight the few negatives you may experience.

I would also tout our great return policy and show we just want folks to try the gear and let it speak for itself. I bet the majority will like the benefits tenkara offers them and even a stern western angler with less of an open mind may at least try it for 60 days and see for themselves.

Some in pool precise casting might still be a nice thing though and to also show indeed we cast our flies and don't dap.

Just my 4 cents. 8-)

tj

* If not a LCD showing looping video of the good stuff, a large banner that hits the highlights of tenkara so it embeds in peoples minds as they walk by.

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:50 am 

Usually just a listener on this and other Tenakara forums/sites. Haved fish Tenkara exclusivly for two years now it has become obsessive in a very good way, many different rods, lines (personally favour long level lines), flies, etc. So, why bother even trying to explain or defend Tenkara to others, go out, catch fish, have fun. If you have to defend your avocation then you are reaching down to the level of the non-enthuasiast, who cares ? Have seen Stewart's rants to others (rants in a good sense on your part Chris) and it is just frustrating to listen to them, so why bother, who cares. Fishing is fishing no matter how it is done. Do not stoop to the level of others ignorance. Who cares, its just fishing. Well enough of my rant, I will go back to my lurking in the quest of knowledge about all things fishing. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:11 pm 

Morgan,
Please PM me the name also I don't want to spend my money with such people. I attend a show every year and I might donate to his cause.

Tom