Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Trying the tenkara technique.

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Trying the tenkara technique.

Postby mcpenttila » Fri May 08, 2009 4:57 pm

I'm headed off to do some trout fishing this Sunday, I've been playing with loop rods and furled leaders, braided lines and fixed length lines. So I'm going to try fishing tenkara style, using a short line and long rod, and see how it works out.

I'll be ordering a Tenkara rod after my vacation is over in a couple weeks.

I'll send some pics when I get done this weekend.

Sincerely

Matt Penttila
Fly Fishing New England and eventually the World.
mcpenttila

Re: Trying the tenkara technique.

Postby mcpenttila » Mon May 11, 2009 4:30 pm

It was a sad day on the Millers River yesterday. 10 mph Winds with gusts to 40 mph from the west were not making anyone happy. I didn't even pull out the fixed length lines or the loop rod, I tried very unsuccessfully to use the standard fly rod and reel. I tried to cast a fly several times, the wind would catch the line and throw it back above and into the shore, or worse back in my face. With a wind pushing everything upstream, most folks came, cast a couple times, mumbled about the wind, then went home.

I managed to switch to an old Johnson Scorpion Underspin Reel on my fly rod, and threw some Al's Silver Colored Goldfish and Worden's Rooster Tails in Fluorescent Orange to catch and release 22 Brown Trout in the 10" to 14" range.

I've been in contact with Daniel at Tenkara USA, and have a 12' Iwana and a couple lines on the way. I'll be trying them out this weekend at the Indian Hollow Campground at the Annual MA-RI Council of Trout Unlimited Annual Fishing Weekend and Meeting. I'm looking foreward to trying this out and will be using the rod on the East Branch of the Westfield River, the Deerfield River, the Millers River, and possibly the Upper Connecticut River in Pittsburg NH over the next two weeks.

I'll keep you posted as to how I make out, I'm definately looking foreward to trying tenkara.

Matt
mcpenttila

Postby RRachlin » Sat May 23, 2009 8:20 pm

I just took the line & flies out for the first time today on a Cabela's 12 ft panfish pole. I realized two fish in (small browns) that this was something I'd been trying to do for years with other fixed-line equipment. I came home & immediately ordered an Iwasa rod. Can't wait. For interesting other technique, look at English style match angling. That's where I started long-pole fishing. Regards all, Rich Rachlin
RRachlin

Postby mcpenttila » Mon May 25, 2009 6:56 am

Hi Rich, glad to hear you tried it out. I gave my Iwana rod a workout the past 9 days, fishing 5 rivers and actually enjoyed hooking and seeing the rainbows I hooked into. I'm very impressed with the rod, and looking foreward to getting a couple more rods to compliment my rod collection. Only drawback was on the really large trout in fast current caused me to loose flies due to the 8x tippet breaking, but I did hook several fish and as the website says "catching smaller fish will be pleasureable". That was an understatement, I was in heaven with every fish hitting the fly, feeling every tap and twitch.

The things I did learn:

1) Don't exert lots of power in the cast, that will result in a pile of line at the tip.

2) Don't try and force the fish to you, too excessive force will cause the loss of the fly and broken leaders.

3) Don't try and "set" the hook. The only thing that happens is lost fish.

4) You can use wooly buggers with weights to get the line down, use multiple flies if needed, and I found myself doing lots of flip style roll casts than the traditional overhead or side casts.

Good luck

Matt
mcpenttila

Postby CM_Stewart » Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 am

Rich,

Before you could buy a tenkara rod in the US, I also fished with the Cabela's Panfish Poles. Now that you can buy the real thing, there is really no excuse not to. I think you will be amazed at the difference in sensitivity and the ease of casting that you will get with the Iwana compared to the panfish pole.

Matt,

After Dr. Ishigaki's presentation at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum this past Saturday I was lucky enough to be able to spend some time with him and ask him some questions. It turns out that he thinks the 6x tippet I had been fishing with is too light. What he uses is Japanese, and is not based on the English "x" system we use, but it is almost exactly the same diameter as our 5x. The rod he was using is not as light as the Iwana, and it seems he primarily fishes with size 12 flies. With the Iwana and smaller flies you could probably go to a 6x, but I really don't think you'd need to go as light as 8x unless it is because your flies are so small they require it. The rods don't. They're stronger than I'd thought.
CM_Stewart

Postby mcpenttila » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:51 pm

Well it's been a month of owning a Tenkara Rod, and comparing it to my own homecrafted loop rod.

I'm very pleased with the Tenkara, and looking into future improvements. One thing I would recommend would be some form of line holder for the rod to keep the line in place when not telescoped out or when moving in thick brush. Maybe incorporate a fly holder with it to hold the strung fly.

I'm looking into the Orvis Fly Box that holds the fly strung on the leader, this may make swapping flies easier as you can switch between leaders real quick due to the handshake loops.

I've caught a few panfish, bass, and trout with the Iwana 12 Foot rod. I am very very pleased.

Now I have to send my old homemade rod to Daniel to look at, as it is a combo light duty walking stick and 3 piece rod.

Sorry about the delay in getting back on the forum, I've been having too much fun with my new rod and line set up.

See you streamside....

Matt
mcpenttila

Postby RRachlin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:00 pm

A month or so in, I am delighted with the quality & service from Daniel AND the ease of catching trout in small streams on the Iwana. I need to figure out how to post cell-phone photos, but the streams near me are often overgrown & close to impossible from the bank with conventional equipment. The variety of methods that the Tenkara rod allows to get the fly to the water ( bow & arrow, slide out, poke thru branches) are tons of fun & challenging enough to provide a real kick. A ten-incher is a trophy around here, so this setup is ideal. THX to Daniel for bringing it here.
RRachlin

Postby CM_Stewart » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:38 pm

Rich,

Posting cell phone photos is easy. There may be other ways, but this works for me. Open an account at one of the public hosting services. I use photobucket http://photobucket.com/. Depending on your cell phone service, you may be able to upload a photo directly, but I have to transfer it to a computer first via the bluetooth connections in the cell phone and a laptop. The photobucket website makes uploading a snap, but you may want to reduce the size of your photo in the upload process. Choosing 640 x 480 results in a photo this size:

Once you've uploaded the photos, thumbnails will be displayed on your screen. Moving your curser over the photo you want to post will reveal a menu of link options. Left click on the IMG code link then right click to copy it. Paste it directly into your post here and that should do it.

Now, if you could tell me how to take GOOD cell phone photos...

Since small streams are often brushy and overgrown, any photos you can post about how you fish them will be of interest to a lot of people.
CM_Stewart

Return to Your Tenkara Experience