Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Opening weekend

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Opening weekend

Postby charlesmoulton7 » Sun May 03, 2009 8:51 pm

Had a great time fishing for Brown trout in Wisconsin.

Nymphing was a breeze.

Casting in a tight setting was a pleasure.

Landing browns up to 15 inches was great and easier than I imagined.

The furled leader was my only nemesis during the trip as I did spend a fair amount of time untangling after pulling a snag free.

Love the Tenkara and look forward to bluegill and more trout.
charlesmoulton7

Re: Opening weekend

Postby Tenkara USA » Mon May 04, 2009 2:21 pm

Nice, Charles!

It is so great to hear of your experience. Particularly where you mention "Casting in a tight setting was a pleasure", as a 12" rod makes people wonder about that.

The furled leaders can get a bit messy when you pull them from a snag, as there is so much energy on their tight twist. The easier way I find is to gently "brush" the line with your hands. Essentially just starting at the top, sliding your hand down the line between letting it "unroll" back to its natural position. Is this what you tried doing?
Tenkara USA

Re: Opening weekend

Postby charlesmoulton7 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Initially tried the brush method but may have been a little hasty. No worse than I have had working a cast of flies that has become tangled for sure. Love the rod. Going to Montana in early June for trout. Will let you know and hope to have some good pics as well.
charlesmoulton7

Return to Your Tenkara Experience