Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Acid Mine Creek reclaimed and Trout stocked

Tenkara USA has pledged to donate at least 1% of its sales to support environmental conservation, particularly small-stream conservation. And, we'll give as much energy as we can in supporting the environment.
This is a forum to discuss where we can have the biggest impact and to discuss what is going on so that we can participate and help out.

Acid Mine Creek reclaimed and Trout stocked

Postby gentleshepherd » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:25 am

This was an article that appeared in my local newspaper. I am excited about the possibilities!

http://newsitem.com/news/1-000-trout-re ... z1K9q9bsMi

Follow up editorial in todays newspaper: http://newsitem.com/opinion/trout-stock ... z1KG40b9dI
GentleShepherd
穏やかな羊飼い
gentleshepherd

Re: Acid Mine Creek reclaimed and Trout stocked

Postby rsetina » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Great news! Let's hope they take to the water and thrive. A couple of years is a long time. Are there going to be patrols to make sure poaching doesn't start? I assume thenwater will be close for some length of time to give the brook trout a chance to grow and reproduce.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby gentleshepherd » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Rick,

I think it would be great if no one poached, most of the people in this area are fish keepers but they usually won't waste time on small fish. If the Trout start to take off it could be another story. I do know that the Creek Restoration people have a vested interest in this so they will probably be a bit more vigilant in keeping fisher people out for a while. I hope anyway.
GentleShepherd
穏やかな羊飼い
gentleshepherd

Postby rsetina » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Good to hear they have an interest in it taking off and doing well. We have a volunteer fisheries resource corp that I want to join. They patrol our small local creeks every weekend keeping an eye on what's going on and educating people, not just anglers, about our local resources. It's a good way to get out and do something to protect what little we have. I heard that the forestry service might even allow the volunteers to be fire lookouts in the lookout stations in the area over weekends. That would be cool.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Environmental Conservation