Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Vermont tenkara, supposed to be fun!

As we evolve, we'll break the topics into more specific categories. For now, miscellaneous will do.

Vermont tenkara, supposed to be fun!

Postby blatt1970 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:57 am

:?:
Just stumbled on this across the net...
As, sometimes, written words may be a case of misunderstanding chiefly for a non USA native English speaker, i beg your opinion on this; It is just irony or was intended to be fun? :roll:

http://ghoti62.wordpress.com/2010/11/26/vermont-hand-crafted-tenkara-rods/
blatt1970

Re: Vermont tenkara, supposed to be fun!

Postby erik.ostrander » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:04 am

Obviously tongue in cheek.
erik.ostrander

Postby rsetina » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Pretty boring read for me. Didn't even smile once and I guess he was trying to be funny. But I find the tongue and check about tenkara really just stems from ignorance and I find it hard to laugh at ignorant people.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Paul Arnold » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:46 am

I usually enjoy that Vermont Blog, largely about fly fishing for trout, but I thought the tenkara put down was heavy handed. Or maybe it's just a New England thing that is over my head. Not the first time.
Last edited by Paul Arnold on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Arnold

Postby Stephen McGowen » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:55 am

First, its called satire. It was more of a dig at the flyfishing industry than at tenkara. The language was straight out of industry ads ( remember the old Thomas and Thomas ads?). There is no language like that on TUSA .

Second, its time to take that chip off your shoulder. It doesn't reflect well on tenkara or us enthusiasts.

Third, in this country the First Amendment allows folks to say what ever they like about your prefered method of fishing and your favorite fishing tackle. IT MEANS NOTHING.
Look at it this way.... if you get upset, they have won.

Finally, the world is full of ***holes. When you encounter one, ignore them. If you don't...you become one too.

Go fishing.
Stephen McGowen

Postby gentleshepherd » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:23 am

The article reminded a lot of the style that would be seen in "The Red Green Show" If you have not ever seen an episode here a few clips from YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0rOIZlm ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUIO9fUf ... re=related

Hope you can appreciate the humor.
GentleShepherd
穏やかな羊飼い
gentleshepherd

Postby Paul Arnold » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:55 pm

Point well taken, Stephan. I edited my post to make it more to my liking. What say you now? Pass muster? I'm sticking with my subjective opinion, though, that I found this humorous piece (whether it is satire or parody) to be heavy handed and, for me, unfunny. Not that it matters.
Paul Arnold

Postby Stephen McGowen » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Paul....the"you" in my post was meant to be an editorial "you". Sorry if you took it personally. The point was that tenkara fishers , or any fisher for that matter, don't have to answer for what they do or say. Also, It is folly to get upset at what others may say or do that is different from your actions or views Life is too short and it isn't a contest.
As for whats funny or not....that is a horse of a different color.
Stephen McGowen

Postby Paul Arnold » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Stephen --

You write,
It is folly to get upset at what others may say or do that is different from your actions or views Life is too short and it isn't a contest.

That is an issue I resolved long ago in my life -- you preach to the choir here, my friend. We could not agree more soundly.

Now on the subject of whether Vermonters can create tenkara gear out of forestry slash, a railroad spike, and some rope...

~Paul
Paul Arnold

Postby Quill Gordon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:35 am

Hello. I am responsible for "Vermont Handcrafted Tenkara Rods". It is patently absurd, as are quite a few of my posts. Whether or not someone finds it funny is a matter of taste and up to the reader, but instead of "heavy handed" I prefer "over the top" because it was meant in the spirit of fun and not as a "put down".

Gentleshepherd recognized Red Green and Mr McGowen caught the parody of industry buzz words. A few people have had a chuckle but others found it not funny at all. That's fine. It's the way it goes.

Perhaps my perspectives on angling and anglers are different. When people go some place for a few days of fishing, it is someone like me who makes sure they have clean sheets and toilet paper, that the roof doesn't leak and they have plenty of wood to burn for warmth. The boats float, the drains flow and the body of water they fish meets State and Federal guidelines because of people like me. I may be The Help but I also know what bugs are hatching and which techniques are working. Sometimes I even do a little fishing myself. I see all kinds of people fishing all kinds of ways and that is one of the things I write about.

Some dry fly purists get upset when I poke fun at their silly, "code"-driven ways but the nymphers think it's funny, at least until I refer to their "strike indicators" as "bobbers" and then the fluff-flingers laugh. Some who tie flies don't think of themselves as obsessive compulsive fussbudgets; they are merely a tad bit perfectionist. There are many niches to our sport and each has a certain number of people who, in my opinion, take it and themselves way too seriously. When I was imagining the absurdity of my Tenkara posts, I could not imagine the absurdity of some of the reactions.

If someone "didn't even smile once" that is their problem. Fishing is much more fun with that stick in your hand, rather than where some people carry theirs. It must be hard to walk like that, but to imply that I am ignorant? I assure you I am not.

I invite anyone reading this to go to my blog and poke around. Follow the links in that Tenkara post and you will see just how absurd some of my stories can be. If they are not your cup of tea, so be it, but if you delve a little deeper you will find that I have nothing but a deep abiding love for our sport and its practitioners, in all their many forms. Except for snobs.

Relax, man, it's only fishing.

Peace,
Ken Hall, aka Quill Gordon
Quill Gordon

Next

Return to Misc. Tenkara stuff