Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

My un-scientific line test

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

My un-scientific line test

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:18 pm

:o :D
I went to the lake today to test some fly lines on my different Tenkara rods.
I have the Amago 6:4 and the Ayu 5:5. I use a 5 foot leader of 4# test fluorocarbon.

First I tried a 13 foot level line. I like braided lines, and after trying
the level line on both rods... well I retired all my level lines.
Perhaps if I practiced more... I don't know.

Next was a regular level western style fly line. Size.-0000- and
13 feet long.
Works great on both rods... in the wind. I'll keep this one for
those strong trade wind days.

Now for the 13 foot braided line made from 4# test fluorocarbon line.
I like the way it cast on both rods. I can cast it in the wind
and I like the accuracy I get. But it does sink like a rock.
Good if you want a "sinking tip" fly line. Not so hot if your
trying to use a floating fly or popping bug.

Last I have a 13 foot braided fly line made from 2# test mono...
I like that it floats. It also seems lighter and worked the
small nymphs, floating flys, and a bluegill popper like a champ.
It's very much like the TenkaraUSA braided lines.

My 10 year old grand daughter borrowed the braided fly
line I bought from TenkaraUSA for her visit to Yosemite,
so I couldn't test it with the others. I do like it and used
it a lot before my friend started making braided lines for me.

I just like the braided line. I guess the taper makes it
easier for me to cast. Now I want to try some longer ones.

Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Re: My un-scientific line test

Postby scorpion1971 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:56 pm

What is the diameter of the 000wt western fly line that you used? I was wondering if it is thinner the the running line of a 2wt line or .024" rio shooting line? I would hate to buy new line just to cut it up. Might be I could find some used unwanted 000wt fly line.
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Re: My un-scientific line test

Postby Karl Klavon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:58 am

I purchased a Sage 000 fly line from Blue Ribbon Flies some time ago, at a considerable savings over what this line costs on the regular market. Unfortunately BRF is no longer listing the line for sale; I guess they sold all of the supply that they had. The line did not come in a box, on a spool, as fly lines usually are supplied. But coiled in a plastic bag with BRF's own labeling. It is a double tapered line that yields two T-lines with the length of your choosing, because you have to cut and make up your own T-lines with it.

I cut my line at 12 feet because I wanted to be sure to get all of the tapered portion of the line on the line I am using, which I believe I did through measurement. The line measured 0.024 at the tip end and 0.030 at 12 feet, so it is no finer than RIO's 0.024 Running line is. I also have a Riggs HiVis 12 foot Floating Tenkara fly line, which is also a 0.024 inch in diameter level fly line, and a length of 0.024" Dia. Rio Running line as well. In use I prefer the Rigs and BRF lines over the RIO line because the RIO line has a Mono core that tends to produce more memory kinking than the other two lines do.

I use these lines exclusively for stillwater T-line fishing. Level FC and or furled T-lines are better, I believe, for running water T-line fishing situations because you can hold more of the line off of the water. The Rigs line weighs 17.4 Grs. with a fly line length of 9' 9", the BRF 000 line weighs 22.4 Grs. @ 12 feet fly line length, and the RIO 0.024 Running line weighs 23.7 Grs. @ 14 feet in length. For comparison, a 10.5 foot length of TUSA Kevlar furled line weighs 15.5 Grains.

I Uni-knotted on a short length of 4.5 level FC to the rod end of these lines to utilize the slip noose method of lilian/line attachment. A 6 or so inch long piece of level FC line should be enough length to form your line to rod joining slip noose loop.

On the leader end of the Rigs line is now a two step drop with their HiVis Mono sections - of about 12 and 10 LB. test respectively in nylon mono, and I do the same on the lines that I make up, then adding shorter lengths of 8 and 6 LB. test FC line, then a tippet of 5 or 6X FC for the final leader tippet construction, which is looped on to preserve the final leader taper. Nylon is preferred for the heavier leader sections because it floats better than FC does. Toward the fly end of the leader though, I like FC better for the lack of visibility and durability advantages it shows over the nylon tippet materials. I hope that all of the above will be of some help to you and others in the future....Karl.
Karl Klavon

Return to Tenkara Lines