Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

7x Tippet

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

7x Tippet

Postby dtgbuettner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Is Tenkara USA continuing to carry it's own 7x tippet? I know it's the same as FrogHair, but usually I tack tippet on with other larger orders from this site rather than ordering it specifically from elsewhere.
dtgbuettner

Re: 7x Tippet

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:31 pm

We have discontinued carrying 7X tippet.

I have come to the conclusion that 7X tippet is really not necessary in tenkara. This was reinforced by the fact that no tenkara angler in Japan uses such thin tippet material. While in some waters and depending on the way one fishes, 7X tippet may be beneficial (i.e. if you like to have your entire line sitting on the water), with tenkara it is hardly necessary. The difference between 6X and 7X for a trout is almost nill, IMO, and becomes important only when there is a lot of drag in the system (i.e. western fly-fishing). Also, it creates confusion with beginners, who think 7X may be better than 6 or 5, and 7X also makes it a little harder to turn flies over, particularly with longer tippets or larger flies.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby dtgbuettner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks, Daniel. :) Interesting information. I'm always interested to hear more about how tenkara is practiced in Japan.
dtgbuettner

Postby Owl Jones » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:44 pm

I used to fish 7X almost exclusively in our small streams. Over the years (speaking strictly from a western fly fishing perspective) I've come to the same conclusion. 6X is just as good as 7X in 99% of the trout fishing scenarios any angler is likely to face. The one exception near me is the tailwater streams where the fish are taking #26 midges or bwo's and can, at times, be very line-shy.

Otherwise, 6X is the ticket for me. 4X if I'm going to streamers and i know there are big fish around.
Owl Jones

Postby troutrageous1 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:29 am

I stop at 6x too. Dealing with 7x is like trying to tie knots in spiderwebs...and I've got fumblefingers...luckily, the fish haven't seemed to mind.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Ito | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby CM_Stewart » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:36 pm

dtgbuettner wrote:ordering it specifically from elsewhere.

I agree that 6x will do in almost all cases, but if you really want the 7x and have to order it elsewhere, I've got 7x Varivas.
CM_Stewart

Postby dtgbuettner » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks for the extra info, Chris. :) To be honest, I bought one spool of the 7x when I first started Tenkara fishing mid-last year (I fish once or twice weekly) and I still have almost the whole spool. Part of the reason I asked is because this year, I will be introducing my girlfriend and possibly her dad to tenkara fishing and wanted to get them an outfit of essentials as a possible gift. Fishing as close as possible to how it's done in Japan is a BIG goal for me; though it may sound a little silly, now that I know that tenkara fishers in Japan don't use 7x; I wont be using it either. :geek:
dtgbuettner

Postby CM_Stewart » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:36 pm

dtgbuettner wrote: Fishing as close as possible to how it's done in Japan is a BIG goal for me; though it may sound a little silly

Doesn't sound silly to me. After all, they've had a few hundred years to figure out what works! Tenkara in the US will become modified and Americanized, but I think it is very reasonable to keep sight of how the method evolved. Even if someone chooses to follow a different path, which I think is fine and which is what I often do myself, I think it is good to understand that it is a different path.
CM_Stewart

Postby dtgbuettner » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks, Chris. :D That's a good point that you made which shouldn't be forgotten: the Japanese have been at this for a long, long time. :) I appreciate your comments and encouragements very much. :D
dtgbuettner

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Is there a preference or advantage to going to fluorocarbon over monofilament nylon in tippets as small as 6x or 7x? What do you guys use?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Ahnkochee

Next

Return to Tenkara Lines