Warehouses in the USA and the UK for shipping within the European Union quickly and with no customs.

LINKS: FAQ - Choosing a Tenkara Rod - Forum - Easy Ordering

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What happened to Ayu II?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:07 am 

Was just checking the gear section and noticed the Ayu II is not listed or mentioned on the page. Are they on back order? Discontinued? Curious as to what happened to them............... :?:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:47 pm 

Hi, yes the Ayu II was discontinued. Look at the Iwana 12' or Amago 13'6" rods as good choices that offer similar characteristics as the Ayu II.

TJ

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:27 pm 

Wow, it wasn't out very long. Was there any specific reason it was discontinued? I have a 12' Iwana, an Ito , an original AYU and a Amago but was thinking of trying out the AYU II

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 pm 

Daniel felt their was too much overlap in rod models and since he is always working on new models for future, and a goal to keep rod selection simple, decided to discontinue the Ayu II. The Ayu II was a great rod and was well received.

TJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:03 pm 

I would be interested in trading my Ayu II for something a little shorter and lighter if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:02 pm 

For what it's worth (maybe not even 2 cents) I would like to see a shorter ( 12' or less) softer and more delicate rod offered.

I've never been a fan of the 9'-4" or the 11' Iwana because they don't feel soft or delicate enough for small stream fishing for little wild trout, something that we would expect to do with a short rod. I am a fan of the 12' Iwana though. Make it longer and now we're talking, but shorter didn't work for me, too stiff and with too much backbone.

I like my Ebisu and was shocked to see it go. It's such a unique rod, and I never could figure out why it didn't become more popular. With some refinements (trim some weight and some girth) the Ebisu would have become a GREAT rod. Make it a zoom rod like I did with mine and well...

JD

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:29 pm 

jd_smith wrote:
I like my Ebisu and was shocked to see it go. It's such a unique rod, and I never could figure out why it didn't become more popular. With some refinements (trim some weight and some girth) the Ebisu would have become a GREAT rod. Make it a zoom rod like I did with mine and well...

I love the pine handle on my Ebisu! I'm thankful I got one before they sold out. It's a little funky and wiggly for my casting style. But it feels so good in my hand! I need a pine handled Iwana... that would make me a happy fella!

//Sam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 pm 

TJ @ Tenkara USA wrote:
Hi, yes the Ayu II was discontinued. ...

:? The Ayu2 disappeared off the Gear page. As expected because of the above statement saying the Ayu II was discontinued. And it remained MIA for a while. But now it's back at a lower price.

A few weeks ago I noticed it is back on the gear page at a reduced price. I waited for someone to ask why it's back if it has been discontinued. Now I've lost patience waiting for someone else to ask.

Is it not discontinued ?

Or it is discontinued and these are rods that were already in production when the decision was made to discontinue the model?

And the Ayu II only disappeared off the gear page for a while because warehouse stock was out.

Just curious as I purchased one last winter.

D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:39 pm 

Dwalker,

manufacturer accidentally made a run and we happily bought them over and offering at a super great price. Very limited numbers now remain and I expect they will be sold out soon.

Grab one while you can. It is indeed a discontinued model but great rod, we have spare segments for them, so they should serve customers well for years.

TJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:35 am 

TJ, is it possible to purchase a spare tip set for the Ayu II? I wasn't able to find it on the site... Got two of those rods, would like a spare before you sell out of this last run. Thanks!

tom.